The current year 2008 was designated by the General Assembly of the United Nations to be the International Year of Planet Earth. The primary objective of this initiative is to show how Earth-related sciences can assist future generations in an understanding of the Planet and in the ways it can be safeguarded and thus promote the sustainable development of society.
The Spanish Royal Mint, interested in helping this initiative to proliferate, undertook to mint a 12-Euro coin in sterling silver.
12 Euros in .925 Sterling Silver
Struck in .925 sterling silver, the obverse portrays the overlapping effigies of Their Majesties King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia of Spain.
The reverse features the earth's sphere cupped in a hand. In addition, the lower part of the coin displays a pair of outstretched hands and the digits 08 coined using the latent image technique over the shape representing the southern segment of the globe.
|Name||Face value||Weight||Diameter||Mint run|
|12 Euros in .925 sterling silver||12 €||18 g||33 mm||2.000.000|
Official retail price in Spain, excluding any relevant taxes:
12 Euros 9.25 sterling silver - 16,95 Euros
The coin comes in a stylish coin case, numbered and limited to 15,000 units.
Previous 12-Euro coin issues
- 2007 - 50th Anniversary of the Treaty of Rome
- 2006 - Christopher Columbus 5th Centenary
- 2005 - 4th centenary of the publication of Cervantes' "Quixote"
- 2004 - Felipe and Letizia
- 2004 - 5th Centenary of Isabella I of Castile
- 2003 - 25th Anniversary of the Spanish Constitution
- 2002 - Spain's Presidency of the E.U.