For the first six months of 2010 Spain will undertake the presidency of the EU Council of Ministers. Within the framework of the new system of rotating presidencies, Spain will share European Union objectives with Belgium and Hungary for the eighteen month period from January 1 2010 to June 30 2011.
The Spanish Royal Mint joined in the commemoration of this important event by minting a new 12 Euro coin in sterling silver.
12 Euro silver coin
Centered on the reverse of this coin a series of interlaced lines symbolizes a coming together of flags. The upper area of the coin displays, in latent image, a large star and the number 10.
The obverse features the overlapping effigies of their majesties King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia.
|Name||Composition||Face Value||Weight||Diameter||Mint run|
|12 Euros||9.25 sterling silver||12 €||18 g||33 mm||2.000.000|
Official retail price in Spain, excluding any relevant taxes:
12 Euros 9.25 sterling silver - 17,24 Euros
The coin comes in a stylish coin case, numbered and limited to 7,000 units.
Previous 12-Euro coin issues
- 2009 - 10th Anniversary European Monetary Union
- 2008 - International Year of Planet Earth
- 2007 - 50th Anniversary of the Treaty of Rome
- 2006 - Christopher Columbus 5th Centenary
- 2005 - 4th centenary of the publication of Cervantes' "Quixote"
- 2004 - Felipe and Letizia
- 2004 - 5th Centenary of Isabella I of Castile
- 2003 - 25th Anniversary of the Spanish Constitution
- 2002 - Spain's Presidency of the E.U.