Basic Quality Management Principles at FNMT-RCM
1 - Introduction
Fábrica Nacional de Moneda y Timbre-Real Casa de la Moneda is a State-owned corporate entity as provided for in Art. 43.1, b) of the Act on the Organisation and Functioning of the General State Administration. As a State-owned body, it is classified as a special public legal entity with its own equity and cash assets and is self-governing as stipulated in the above-mentioned act.
Its main activities are as follows:
- The printing of banknotes on the request of the Bank of Spain or of the central banks of other countries.
- The minting of coins of all types.
- The production of identification documents such as the Spanish National Identity Card (DNIe), passports and cards.
- The production of documents whereby the payment of whatsoever State taxes is made effective, in addition to National Lottery tickets, forms and lists and any other gaming document which it is instructed to produce by the Public Administrations.
- The production of security support paper for the production of banknotes and other security documents (passports, identity documents etc.), both national and foreign, postage stamps and State stamped bills.
- The striking of medals and similar items for the State and private individuals.
- The manufacture of franking products, such as postage stamps.
- The provision of security, technical and administrative services in communications via electronic, computerised and telematic techniques and media, together with the issuance, production and supply of user documents and certificates and card supports.
2 - Quality at FNMT-RCM
Fábrica Nacional de Moneda y Timbre-Real Casa de la Moneda has developed and implemented a Quality Management System based on Standard ISO 9001 and certified by AENOR, covering the following:
- The design and production of circulating and commemorative coins and the minting of other products with no value as legal tender, banknotes, postage stamps, passports and security books.
- The design, production, mounting, assemblage and finishing of cards with and without microcircuits. The design, development and provision of certification services for the electronic signature, trusted third-party services, time-stamping authority and attribute certification authority.
- The design and development of crypto cards and related software components.
- The design and production of security paper.
- The production of multi-luminescent pigments.
- The conversion of paper for stamps.
The basic aspects of the Quality Management System are outlined below:
2.a - FNMT-RCM's commitment:
FNMT-RCM operates a Quality Management System in compliance with the requirements of International Standard ISO 9001:
- Fostering a client-focussed approach with a view to meeting both customer and legal and regulation requirements.
- The performance by management both of a follow-up of its activities and of the appropriate reviews so as to achieve the expected results and pinpoint any need to adapt new measures conducive to the attainment of ongoing improvement.
- Ensuring the availability of resources for the performance of its activities.
- Keeping in place the appropriate communication processes so as to ensure the management system's effectiveness.
2.b - Resource management:
For the performance of our activities, it is of the utmost importance to guarantee the constant availability of the resources necessary and our Quality Management System sets out to do so in the following manner:
- Having personnel with the competences, training, experience and skills necessary for the correct performance of their tasks.
- Determining the installations and infrastructures necessary for the performance of our activities whilst guaranteeing that our productive equipment is in good working order.
- Planning the availability of the financial resources necessary.
2.c - Customer-related processes:
The management of customer-related processes within FNMT-RCM's Quality Management System consists largely of the following:
- The correct determination of our customers' needs so as to define the requirements of the most suitable product and service.
- Determine the legal and regulation requirements to be met by our products and services.
- Carry out periodic reviews of the requirements specified by our customers so as to ensure the elimination of any differences which may arise.
- Establish the communication channels most suited to each customer.
2.d - Procurement process:
The Quality Management System which we have implemented affords us the following guarantees as regards the procurement process:
- Ensures that products acquired by FNMT-RCM meet the requirements we need in our processes and those that the customer needs in the use of those products.
- The control processes applied to acquired products are adapted in accordance with the importance of those products and their impact both on the productive process and on the end-product made by FNNT-RCM.
- The selection, assessment and reassessment of our suppliers enable us to measure their capacity to supply the products we need.
2.e - Product manufacturing processes and the provision of services:
So as to ensure that the customer will receive the products and services as agreed with FNMT-RCM, our Quality Management System sets out the way in which the main processes and activities are to be carried out:
- The design and development of products and services should be done in accordance with the various stages planned for the purpose, including the stages established for the review, verification and validation of said products and services, so as to minimise any faults which may arise during use.
- Production and provision of services are carried out under controlled conditions by means of the application of the instructions necessary for the performance of the various tasks.
- The machinery most suited to each process is used.
- Follow-up plans are put in place so as to detect any problem as soon as it arises and proceed to its solution.
- Where so required in certain products and services, the unique identification of the products is guaranteed, along with their traceability throughout the various processes involved.
- Conditions as regards product handling, protection, packaging, storage and delivery terms are included as a necessary requirement applicable to the product as such.
- Maintenance of measuring equipment ensures its absolute fitness for purpose and calibration and verification periods are established in those cases in which it is necessary to ensure the validity of results.
- Procedures are established for the treatment of any flawed item produced in the manufacturing process and, in those cases in which security is a product requirement, any such item is submitted to a controlled destruction process.
2.f - Measurement, analysis and ongoing improvement:
The Quality Management System implemented by FNMT-RCM is designed to measure the various processes, analyse the results obtained from such measurements and determine the changes to be made so as to attain ongoing improvement and the correct adaptation to customer demand. The main ways in which follow-up, measurement, analysis and improvement are carried out are as follows:
- The measurement of customer satisfaction so as to ascertain not only the level of their satisfaction with our products and services but also their opinion.
- The treatment of any complaints received so as to settle any issue which may arise.
- The follow-up, measurement and analysis of products and processes so as to be aware of their status at any given moment.
- The preparation of internal audits so as to detect any cases of non-compliance which may arise.
- The analysis of information available from the various existing sources so as to pinpoint any problem as soon as it arises and ascertain its cause, appraising the need to take steps to ensure that the case of non-compliance does not occur again.
2.g- Documentation and register control:
FNMT-RCM's processes are further enhanced by an additional process which is equally important to ensure its sound working: the management of documentation and registers as outlined below:
- Documentation control so as to ensure that the updated versions of documents in use have been duly authorised and are available where required and that any obsolete documentation is not in use.
- Registers are kept as required by our customers and by the standards applicable to our activities.